Call for Torchlight 2020 Proposals
a Company of Fools is pleased to invite production proposals from professional directors for our 2020 Torchlight Shakespeare in the Park tour. The deadline for submissions is September 12th, 2019.
The Torchlight Shakespeare in the Park tour is a Company of Fools’ flagship piece of programming. The production tours for 7 weeks throughout July and August, visits 36 different parks across the National Capital Region, and attracts over 8000 patrons.
The Fools are committed to making arts and culture accessible to patrons from all walks of life. We pass the hat for donations at the conclusion of each performance in lieu of selling tickets. Our commitment to accessibility extends to our stylized approach to Shakespeare which uses techniques of slapstick, Commedia Dell’arte, mask, and puppetry.
Please consider the following before crafting a proposal:
- Productions must run under 90 minutes with no intermission.
- General auditions typically take place in early December, with callbacks in early January.
- Rehearsals begin June 1st, 2020. Opening is June 29th, 2020.
- a Company of Fools operates under CAEA’s G House category.
- A cast of 6 actors will play multiple roles within the production.
- The director is responsible for providing a rehearsal draft of the play text.
It is recommended that interested applicants attend a Torchlight production to familiarize themselves with the Fools’ aesthetic.
a Company of Fools encourages submissions from diverse artists of all backgrounds regardless of culture, race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Proposals must be limited to one single sided page and include:
- A play by William Shakespeare you wish to direct for the 2020 season.
- Your vision for the production.
Please attach your director biography or CV on separate pages.
Applications must be emailed to:
Nicholas Leno, Interim Artistic Director
Deadline: September 12th, 2019 at 5pm
Late submissions will not be accepted.